OVERVIEW OF NOUN AND
A logical operator that returns a true value only if both operands are true.
and (nd, n; nd when stressed)
1. Together with or along with; in addition to; as well as. Used to connect words, phrases, or clauses that have the same grammatical function in a construction.
2. Added to; plus: Two and two makes four.
3. Used to indicate result: Give the boy a chance, and he might surprise you.
4. Informal To. Used between finite verbs, such as go, come, try, write, or see: try and find it; come and see. See Usage Note at try.
5. Archaic If: and it pleases you.
and so forth/on
1. And other unspecified things of the same class: bought groceries, went to the bank, picked up the dry cleaning, and so forth.
2. Further in the same manner.
and then some Informal
With considerably more in addition: This project will take all our skill and then some.
[Middle English, from Old English; see en in Indo-European roots.]
Usage Note: It is frequently asserted that sentences beginning with and or but express “incomplete thoughts” and are therefore incorrect. But this rule has been ridiculed by grammarians for decades, and the stricture has been ignored by writers from Shakespeare to Joyce Carol Oates. When asked whether they paid attention to the rule in their own writing, 24 percent of the Usage Panel answered “always or usually,” 36 percent answered “sometimes,” and 40 percent answered “rarely or never.” See Usage Notes at both, but, with.
|Look up and in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
And or AND may refer to:
- Conjunction (grammar), a part of speech that connects two words, phrases, or clauses
- Logical conjunction, a two-place logical operation used in logic and mathematics depicted as ".", "∧", or "&&"
- Binary and, an operator used in computer programming.
- Ampersand, the symbol "&", representing the word "and"
- AND gate, a digital logic gate used in electronics
- Anderson Regional Airport, South Carolina, United States, from its IATA airport code
- Anderston railway station, Scotland, from its National Rail code
- Andromeda (constellation) abbreviation, as standardized by the International Astronomical Union
- Automotive Navigation Data (AND), a supplier of digital navigation maps
- And (John Martyn album), 1996
- And, a 2007 album by Jonah Matranga
- Alberta New Democratic Party, previously known as Alberta New Democrats (AND)
- "And" theory of conservatism, a theory of conservatism
- Associated Northcliffe Digital
- AND, the ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 country code for Andorra
- Johnny Winter And, a Johnny Winter album