CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON ABOVE TO HEAR THIS PAGE READ IN ENGLISH.
CLICK ANY PICTURE IN THIS DICTIONARY TO ENLARGE IT.
OVERVIEW OF PREPOSITION FOR
with the object or purpose of: to run for exercise.
intended to belong to, or be used in connection with: equipment for the army; a closet for dishes.
suiting the purposes or needs of: medicine for the aged.
in order to obtain, gain, or acquire: a suit for alimony; to work for wages.
(used to express a wish, as of something to be experienced or obtained): O, for a cold drink!
sensitive or responsive to: an eye for beauty.
desirous of: a longing for something; a taste for fancy clothes.
in consideration or payment of; in return for: three for a dollar; to be thanked for one’s efforts.
appropriate or adapted to: a subject for speculation; clothes for winter.
with regard or respect to: pressed for time; too warm for April.
during the continuance of: for a long time.
in favor of; on the side of: to be for honest government.
in place of; instead of: a substitute for butter.
in the interest of; on behalf of: to act for a client.
in exchange for; as an offset to: blow for blow; money for goods.
in punishment of: payment for the crime.
in honor of: to give a dinner for a person.
with the purpose of reaching: to start for London.
contributive to: for the advantage of everybody.
in order to save: to flee for one’s life.
in order to become: to train recruits for soldiers.
in assignment or attribution to: an appointment for the afternoon; That’s for you to decide.
such as to allow of or to require: too many for separate mention.
such as results in: his reason for going.
as affecting the interests or circumstances of: bad for one’s health.
in proportion or with reference to: He is tall for his age.
in the character of; as being: to know a thing for a fact.
by reason of; because of: to shout for joy; a city famed for its beauty.
in spite of: He’s a decent guy for all that.
to the extent or amount of: to walk for a mile.
(used to introduce a subject in an infinitive phrase): It’s time for me to go.
(used to indicate the number of successes out of a specified number of attempts): The batter was 2 for 4 in the game.
OVERVIEW OF CONJUNCTION FOR
1. seeing that; since.
|Look up for or FOR in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
For or FOR may refer to:
In English language parts of speech:
- for loop, programming language statement
- FoR, Fellowship of Reconciliation
- For, an abbreviation for the Fornax constellation
- Field of Research, a component of the Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification
- International Air Transport Association airport code for Pinto Martins International Airport – Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil.
- In military usage, a suffix usually pertaining to a specialized strike force in the area. (E.g. SFOR (Stabilisation Force), OPFOR (Opposing Force)
- the Revolutionary Workers Ferment also known by its Spanish name and initials Fomento Obrero Revolucionario or FOR
- Fast Oil Recovery
- Frame of reference