« Back to Glossary Index
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON ABOVE TO HEAR THIS PAGE READ IN ENGLISH.
CLICK ANY PICTURE IN THIS DICTIONARY TO ENLARGE IT.
OVERVIEW OF NOUN SIDE
1) side: a place within a region identified relative to a center or reference location; “they always sat on the right side of the church”; “he never left my side”
2) side: one of two or more contesting groups; “the Confederate side was prepared to attack”
3) side: either the left or right half of a body; “he had a pain in his side”
4) side: an extended outer surface of an object; “he turned the box over to examine the bottom side”; “they painted all four sides of the house”
5) side, face: a surface forming part of the outside of an object; “he examined all sides of the crystal”; “dew dripped from the face of the leaf”
6) side: a line segment forming part of the perimeter of a plane figure; “the hypotenuse of a right triangle is always the longest side”
7) side: an aspect of something (as contrasted with some other implied aspect); “he was on the heavy side”; “he is on the purchasing side of the business”; “it brought out his better side”
8) side: a family line of descent; “he gets his brains from his father’s side”
9) side, side of meat: a lengthwise dressed half of an animal’s carcass used for food
10) side, position: an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute; “there are two sides to every question”
11) slope, incline, side: an elevated geological formation; “he climbed the steep slope”; “the house was built on the side of a mountain”
12) English, side: (sports) the spin given to a ball by striking it on one side or releasing it with a sharp twist
OVERVIEW OF VERB SIDE
1) side, pull, root: take sides with; align oneself with; show strong sympathy for; “We all rooted for the home team”; “I’m pulling for the underdog”; “Are you siding with the defender of the title?”
2) side, go with: take the side of; be on the side of; “Whose side are you on?”; “Why are you taking sides with the accused?”
OVERVIEW OF ADJECTIVE SIDE
1) side: located on a side; “side fences”; “the side porch”
noun side has 12 sense(s) (first 10 from tagged texts)
« Back to Glossary Index
This article is about the town Side on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey. For other uses of "Side", see Side (disambiguation)
Side (Greek: Σίδη) is an ancient Greek city on the southern Mediterranean coast of Turkey, a resort town and one of the best-known classical sites in the country. It lies near Manavgat and the village of Selimiye, 78 km from Antalya in the province of Antalya.
It is located on the eastern part of the Pamphylian coast, which lies about 20 km east of the mouth of the Eurymedon River. Today, as in antiquity, the ancient city is situated on a small north-south peninsula about 1 km long and 400 m across.