CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON ABOVE TO HEAR THIS PAGE READ IN ENGLISH.
CLICK ANY PICTURE IN THIS DICTIONARY TO ENLARGE IT.
OVERVIEW OF PRONOUN WHAT.
1a. — used to ask for information about someone or something. ▪ What is your name? ▪ What are those things on the table? ▪ What’s your family like? ▪ What happened? ▪ What [meaning, how much] does it cost? ▪ “What did she say?” “She said yes.” ▪ What do you think of my idea? ▪ What do you want to do tonight? ▪ “Dad!” “What (do you want)?” “You have a phone call.” ▪ What (on earth) are you doing?! ▪ I finished dusting. Now what (should I do)? ▪ What (should I do) next? ▪ What else did he say? ▪ You have money, fame, and a beautiful family. What more could you want?
2a. — used to ask someone to say something again because you have not clearly heard or understood it ▪ What did you say? meaning, (informal) What? — often used to show surprise about the thing that someone has just said ▪ “And then I said that he could go to hell.” “You said what?!” ▪ She did what?! ▪ What? I don’t believe it. You must be joking!
OVERVIEW OF ADJECTIVE WHAT.
1. — used to ask someone to indicate the identity or nature of someone or something ▪ What fool told you that? ▪ What book did you read? ▪ What news have you heard from him? ▪ In what way are these two stories the same? ▪ We won the war, but at what price? [meaning, did we lose or give up too much in order to win the war?]
2. — used to say that someone or something is remarkable for having good or bad qualities ▪ What a good idea! ▪ What mountains! ▪ Remember what fun we had? ▪ What a horrible movie! ▪ What a beautiful child.
3. — used to refer to an amount that someone has, uses, etc.. ▪ She gave what money she had [meaning, she gave all the money she had] to the homeless man. ▪ Give what excuses you will—it makes no difference. [meaning, no excuses that you may give will make any difference] ▪ He soon gambled away what (little) money he had left. ▪ We spent what (little) time remained chatting.
OVERVIEW OF ADVERB WHAT.
|Look up what in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
What or WHAT may refer to
- what, an interrogative pronoun in English:
- "What?", one of the Five Ws used in journalism
- Web Hypertext Application Technology, a group of people interested in evolving HTML and related technologies
- Winter Haven Area Transit, a transit system in Florida, U.S.
- WHAT (AM), a radio station serving Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
- What? (film), a film directed by Roman Polanski
- What Records, a UK record label
- What? Records, a U.S. record label
- What.CD, a private music tracker website for BitTorrent users
- "What?" (song), a song by Rob Zombie
- "What" a song by Bassnectar from Vava Voom
- "What?", a song by Corrosion of Conformity from Eye for an Eye
- "What?", a song by The Move from Looking On
- "What", the name of the second baseman in Abbott and Costello's comedy routine "Who's on First?"
- "What?", the catchphrase of professional wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin
- "what.", a comedy special by Bo Burnham